Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Future Heirlooms?

In the January issue of Real Simple magazine there is an interesting article discussing what items will be collectible in the future. A panel of experts were asked to name the 10 accessories that will be the "heirlooms of the future" and listed below are their selections. Do you agree?


The experts first chose the Louis Ghost Chair from Philippe Starck as a future heirloom. I would have to say I agree with this choice. I can definitely see these chairs becoming collector's items in the future. I am not sure how comfortable they are though :)


Above is a tight back sofa from Baker. Baker is a well known furniture company that has been around for ages. The company makes classic furniture that is built to last. Although I think the classic lines of this sofa will always be in style, I think that several companies make sofas that are similar in quality and style and for far less money.


The above handwoven cotton rug from Madeline Weinrib is sure to be a future heirloom. In fact, I believe ALL of Madeline Weinrib's rugs will become prized heirlooms. Her textiles are so classic and beautiful and anyone would be lucky to own one of her creations!


I have several silver-coated seashells that I absolutely love. I have them all over my house - on top of books, on my desk, resting on shelves. I just love them! I gotta say that I never thought of them as future heirlooms though. The above seashells are from Ruzzetti & Gow, who gather seashells in the Phillipines and have them sent to Rome where they are coated in sterling silver. I guess I will hang on to mine in case they are worth something in the future!


The above T-table is by Patricia Urquiola and is made of shatterproof injection-molded plastic. One expert noted that "in 30 years, the table will look just as fresh." I think the table is pretty but I am not sure I would go so far as to call it a future heirloom.


Above is a Garland Shade of Light by Tord Boontje. I have to admit that I had not seen this pretty light fixture before. I like it but am not sure whether it will be in style 30 years from now. You can see more of Boontje's creations at the Museum of Modern Art's online store.


Here is an "O" stemless wineglass from Riedel. According to the article, Maximillian Riedel, the CEO of Riedel, was frustrated that his stemmed glasses would not fit in his cupboard and introduced the design for the stemless glasses in 2004. I have a set of Riedel tumblers that I picked up at Target on sale and I do like them. For some reason though, I still prefer stemmed wineglasses. It just seems more elegant. I think it would be worth it to pick up a few pairs though. They are fairly inexpensive and would work well in a less formal setting.


I have already discussed my love/obsession with the Balcon du Guadalquivir patterned Hermès china. I received the above dessert plate as a Christmas gift and I plan on slowly collecting the entire collection over the next several years. You have to start somewhere right? I absolutely believe that this stunning collection from Hermès is timeless.


I was sort of surprised by the experts' choice of the candlesticks shown above. These oxidized-bronze candlesticks are by Ted Muehling and just one of these 5 inch candlesticks will set you back more than $500! Apparently Muehling was inspired by the shape of a Biedermeier candlestick he found at a flea market and used modern technology to create his own version of the classic candlestick. I suppose I just don't appreciate candlesticks enough to care whether or not these are future heirlooms. I'm sure they'll be worth loads of money in the future.


Here are some familiar throw pillows from the fabulous Jonathan Adler. I think these handmade Bargello pillows are so bright and festive and will probably be collectible one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment